Cardiac arrhythmias in adult patients with asthma.

Translated title of the contribution: Cardiac arrhythmias in adult patients with asthma.

M.J. Warnier, F.H. Rutten, J.A. Kors, J.W.J. Lammers, A. de Boer, A.W. Hoes, M.L. de Bruin

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleAcademicpeer-review


Objective. The pathogenesis of cardiac arrhythmias in asthma patients has not been fully elucidated. Adverse drug effects, particularly those of beta2-mimetics, may play a role. The aim of this study was to determine whether asthma is associated with the risk of cardiac arrhythmias and electrocardiographic characteristics of arrhythmogenicity (ECG) and to explore the role of beta2-mimetics. Methods. A cross-sectional study was conducted among 158 adult patients with a diagnosis of asthma and 6303 participants without asthma from the cohort of the Utrecht Health Project-an ongoing, longitudinal, primary care-based study. All patients underwent extensive examinations, including resting 12-lead electrocardiogram (ECG) and pulmonary function tests. The primary outcome was "any arrhythmia on the ECG" (including tachycardia, bradycardia, premature ventricular contraction (PVC), and atrial fibrillation or flutter). Secondary outcomes were tachycardia, bradycardia, PVC, atrial fibrillation or flutter, mean heart rate, mean corrected QT (QTc) interval length, and prolonged QTc interval. Results. Tachycardia and PVCs were more prevalent in patients with asthma (3% and 4%, respectively) than those without asthma (0.6%, p <.001; 2%, p = .03, respectively). The prevalence of QTc interval prolongation was similar in participants with (2%) and without asthma (3%, odds ratio [OR]: 0.6 and 95% confidence interval [95% CI]: 0.2-2.0). In 74 asthma patients, who received beta2-mimetics, tachycardia and PVCs were more common (OR: 12.4 [95% CI: 4.7-32.8] and 3.7 [95% CI: 1.3-10.5], respectively). Conclusions. The adult patients with asthma more commonly show tachycardia and PVCs on the ECG than those without asthma. The patients with asthma received beta2-mimetics; the risk of tachycardia and PVCs is even more pronounced.
Translated title of the contributionCardiac arrhythmias in adult patients with asthma.
Original languageUndefined/Unknown
Pages (from-to)942-6
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of Asthma
Issue number9
Publication statusPublished - 2012


  • Epidemiology
  • Farmacie(FARM)
  • Biomedische technologie en medicijnen
  • Ziekenhuisstructuur en organisatie van de gezondheidszorg
  • Public Health


Dive into the research topics of 'Cardiac arrhythmias in adult patients with asthma.'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this